Thursday, November 12, 2009

God? It's me, TlalocW. What up, playa?

So here's something I've wondered about for a long time. I'm sure you've thought it as a humorous aside or heard someone else make a joke about it.

The situation is when the quarterback/star center/pitcher for a team that's just won thanks Jesus for all their success, sometimes, almost literally claiming, "It wasn't me; it was the J-Man." The humorous aside, of course, is why does Jesus hate the other team so much?

That's the simpler example. That's a one time thing. The more complex similar situation is when a very successful person more or less makes the same claim. That all of his success is due to Jesus/God.

It makes me wonder.

Is he really stating that he's so untalented that nothing he has in life can be a result of some skill set he possesses?

If that's not the case, is it a case of false modesty, where he knows he's damn good, but he wants to appear as a good Christian so he gives credit to God and Jesus? Wouldn't that displease God? If it does, it apparently doesn't displease God enough to take away the person's good fortune.

If the previous two don't hold water, is he claiming that even with all his skills, success wasn't guaranteed, but God interceded on his behalf and made fortune favor him thus proof he IS a good Christian?

But if his next door neighbor is more successful but is an atheist, what does that mean?

I was raised to believe God loves everyone, but does it mean God rewards people equally?

Does God not reward people equally, but the atheist guy is so talented and got lucky enough that he overcame God's apathy (best worst case scenario) or God's actively working against him (worst worst case scenario)?

Is it all a crapshoot?

Why does God hate the Dallas Cowboy so much?

2 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Blogger Ibid said...

The big game was lost and the other side gave credit to Jesus. I had to wonder why Jesus hates me so. I didn't fumble that ball. Jesus MADE me drop it. I swore right then and there that I would have my revenge. I would, until my dying breath, dedicate my life to hunting down this menace and fire a harpoon deep into the black, black heart of Jesus himself.

Then I took a nap and felt better.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Kooth said...

You ask great questions! But I think the answer to the Dallas Cowboys question is this: "It's because they are in Texas!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home